A huge Thank You to Dr. Stephen Fiess for his sublime virtuoso piano performance and to Dee Dee Atwood for organizing the “Music with a Mission” concert on October 20 to benefit the upcoming Medical, Dental and Vision mission trip to Jamaica in February and March 2018. Thank you also to everyone who donated at the concert. Of the $2,100 raised, half will be used toward our $8000 fundraising goal to cover the cost of medicines, medical supplies and eyeglasses for the 2018 mission trip. The remaining half is to be reserved for the 2019 mission.
The Jamaica Medical/Dental Mission was brought to Good Shepherd over 10 years ago by Deacons Bill and Karen Henwood, who continue to actively spearhead the mission from South Carolina. The mission has grown over the years by forming a 501c3 non-profit under the name Jamaica Missions USA, with additional volunteers and a new vision care program. This spring, we will travel to Jamaica with two teams (46 volunteers in total) comprised of doctors, nurses, an optometrist, pharmacists, EMTs, general helpers, prayer warriors and worship leaders. In a two-week period, we expect to treat the physical and spiritual needs of over:
- 1000 medical and dental patients
- 300 vision patients
- and, dispense over 2000 prescriptions
Providing quality health care is the vehicle through which we can reach our highest goal, to share the Word of God!
As our mission grows, so do our needs. If you were not able to attend the concert and would like to support the Jamaica mission, there are several ways we welcome your help:
- Sew cloth bags for medicine and eyeglasses. Fabric and instructions are on the Jamaica table in the parish hall. Thank you to Bev Wolfe for coordinating this project. (The deadline for completed Jamaica bags is December 10.)
- Donate toothbrushes. Every patient we see receives toothbrushes for their entire family. Leave donations of toothbrushes on the Jamaica table in the Parish Hall.
- Volunteer for a mission trip in 2019. You do not need a medical background. Go to www.jmusa.org for more information.
Our most pressing need is for funding to reach our $8000 goal. We would be most grateful for your help of any kind to:
- Donate funds for purchasing medicines and eyeglasses. Make checks payable to “Good Shepherd” with “Jamaica Mission” in the memo; or donate online at www.jmusa.org/donate.
On behalf of Bill and Karen Henwood, Lisa Houston and Melissa Watson, we extend our heartfelt thanks for your continued support. For more information, please contact Melissa at email@example.com BLESSINGS!