Knitting with Purpose
"Shawls ... made for centuries universal and embracing,
symbolic of an inclusive, unconditionally loving, God.
They wrap, enfold, comfort, cover, give solace,
mother, hug, shelter and beautify.
Those who have received these shawls have been
uplifted and affirmed, as if given wings to
fly above their troubles..."
Written in 1998 by Janet Severi Bristow
Do you love to knit or crochet? If so, put your talents to good use by getting involved with Good Shepherd's Prayer Shawl Ministry. The shawl maker begins with prayers and blessings for the recipient, and continues to pray and meditate as the shawl is created. Once completed, the shawls are returned to Fr. Craig or Mother Alwen who then bless them before sending them out to comfort others. Shawls can be used for: undergoing medical procedures; as a comfort after a loss or in times of stress; during bereavement; prayer or meditation; commitment or marriage ceremonies; birthing, nursing a baby; bridal shower or wedding gift; during an illness and recovery; ministering to others; graduation, birthday, anniversary, ordination, holiday gifts; or just socializing...there are endless possibilities! This is a "quiet" ministry. Please join us and put your needles and hooks to good use bringing comfort and prayers to those in need.
Prayer Shawl Ministry
how to get involved
- Anyone can participate and there are no meetings or rules
- Whether you knit or crochet, we can use your talents!
- Patterns for shawls are located in a 3 ring binder in a basket by the side door of the Sanctuary
- Pick out a pattern for your project, or use your own.
- Begin your project with prayers and blessings for the recipient, and continue to meditate and pray as you work on the shawl.
- Upon completion, return to our Parish Administrator, Kathy Hunter, so she can make arrangements to have your work blessed.
- Completed shawls are for anyone in need of comfort. Anyone may take one.